Wednesday 7 August 2013

Tuesday 6th August 2013- Meg and Harriet

Tuesday 6th August 2013- Meg and Harriet


After flying for several hours, tired and exhausted, we reached RAS hotel in the capital city of Ethiopia, Addis Ababa. Despite the interesting time difference we got up with smiles on our faces ready for the day ahead! To begin, we had a huge buffet, which included traditional Ethiopian foods. Afterwards, we walked in the   crazy monsoon rain to reach the National bank of Ethiopia where we were guided round and exchanged our money into Birr. The date here is the 30th November 2005, so we are all now time travelers!

Driving up the winding roads of Addis, the realisation of the trip hit us, some of the conditions people live in are extremely shocking and the way of life made us culturally aware of our positions and how lucky we really all are. When we reached the highest point, we visited a museum where we viewed traditional dress and historic artifacts we learned more about the history of Ethiopia and its people.  Missing everyone at home! (Harriet) (Thank God for airport Chocolate) 

Meg's amusing tale of a trip to the toilet:

         When we were finished at the museum I really needed the toilet (Meg) but I never said anything until it was too late and I thought I was going to wee myself! I had to ask the bus drive to stop at a local bar so i was able to go to the toilet. When the bus driver was driving to the bar there was so many bumps it was unbelievable, we then got to the toilet it wasn’t what I thought it was going to be we entered the bar ask the man if we could ask to use the toilet he said yes. We went round the corner to a door I opened the door to see a hole a in the floor with this little white thing around the hole, then all of a sudden this little boy out of nowhere started no she can’t, no, no she can’t go there! I was a little scared on what was happening, to then Dawit (our tour guide) to see go in this toilet, a little boy and a man came out the toilet, the man was holding his nose, I was that desperate I just went the toilet was the same as the first one a hole in the floor it smelt really really bad. The little boy did a massive poo in the toilet it smelt really bad, I held my nose as I squatted it was awful i peed really fast so it was over and done with. I ran out the toilet ran out the bar and back to the bus where everyone was laughing at me because of my facial expression from the toilet, so everyone know now’s that if you need the toilet go but only go if it’s a proper toilet. 

1 comment:

  1. So pleased to hear you've all arrived safely and embracing such a wonderful and interesting experience , hope your not getting to wet in the monsoons , take care eveyone and have fun love Harriets mum Carol xx

    ReplyDelete